Walking for 20 minutes a day has numerous health benefits such as
- Lowering your blood pressure and improving peripheral circulation.
- Reducing risk of osteoarthritis and enhancing bone strength.
- Reducing risk of heart disease, vascular disease, diabetes, and cancer.
- Improving mood and overall fitness.
The American Heart Association recommends that 150 minutes of walking per week which breaks down to approximately 20-25 minutes per day. We have developed this guide to the best walk to make it easy for you to get started with your walking routine today (1).
- Stretch. Always begin and end your work out with some light stretching. This will prevent injuries, increase stamina and overall conditioning.
- Set a goal. You don’t have to start out running a 5K race. Start off with a short distance first. Take a stroll around the park with your kids, a few friends, or maybe a pet. Park a little farther away from the store to get those extra steps in. Crummy weather outside? Try taking a stroll around your local shopping mall. Every step counts!
- Set a route. Get to know your neighborhood. There might be a trail or a park down the street that you hadn’t noticed previously.
- Find music that motivates you. Grab your MP3 player or smart phone and some ear buds and find some music that pumps you up.
- Stay hydrated and eat a snack. Give your body the fuel you need to keep you going! Malnutrition and dehydration can cause muscle cramps and exhaustion. Check out a list of our favorite snack bars.
- Just get going. The hardest part of your perfect walk is usually just getting started. We all have that tendency to procrastinate. For the sake of your mental and physical health, don’t put this one off. Put on some comfortable footwear and get going!
Now… ready to have your mind blown? Pick up a rock in each hand to add a little extra training. Rocks are a free alternative to small hand weights. This technique is also used by professional runners alike. Enjoy your walk!